Saturday, July 25, 2009

Don't be bossin' me.

Ahoyhoy!

I guess I am bad at this, this keeping a blog updated thing. My summer has been fairly tame, and will continue to be until I get back to Waterloo (in 32 days hurrah!). So for now, as I don't speak to most of you on a regular basis, HERE IS AN UPDATE.


So, first of all, let me tell you about my "new" job, even though it really is not new anymore. My title is the "Summer Recreation Coordinator", pretty self explanitory; I coordinate recreational activities in the summer for people with developmental disabilites. It is nice, I have worked at the Activity Centre on and off for almost two years, but my other positions have always been a lot more serious; handling house finances, medications, etc., but in this job, I just plan fun everyday.
(It is a nice get away, even though I miss the routine (and money) of my other position.)

So pretty much I have spent my last two months hanging out in the sun, planning trips to go bowling and to concerts and the beach. And I laugh. Oh boy do we laugh. I get to spend all my time with my guys and not have to worry "oh did they get their 5pm medication", which is a wonderful way to spend my days.

OH! Also, on Thursdays, I cook lunch for the elderly. I have a love-hate relationship with these people.
On the one hand, they are the foundation of our community. These people raised families, and farmed and fought in wars and worked hard through hardships; something that our generation lacks- working hard. I admire them for that and have a lot of respect for them. BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, possibly the most gossipy, finicky people I have ever met. They destroy my food with too much salt and complain if I forget to put ice on the table. Who cares if you have ice in your glass of tang? Who cares if the butter isn't soft enough? There are bigger problems in this world. So get over it. I know, I know, there are bigger problems in the world than how the elderly put mounds of salt on their pork chops; but for once I would like them to come up to me and say "Thank you, it was delightful".

WHAT ELSE?

I went to Craven Country Jamboree at the beginning of July. Most of you don't know what that is, so I will explain. It is this huge (like almost 24 000 people in the middle of a field huge) country music festival in the middle of no where Saskatchewan. Basically, 24000 rednecks get hammered for 5 straight days.

What. a. gongshow.

I can't even explain how ridiculous this event was. People walk around without clothes on. People sleep in cattle trailers. We saw a grain truck that was used as a hot tub. So many good times, so much gin consumed. I found out that Taylor Swift is a horrible performer (although, most of us could guess that anyway). And George Strait, oh Georgio...what a beautiful man.

I honestly can't believe how fast this summer is going. When I started the summer I had a bunch of milestones throughout the summer, a group of about 5 or so. I now only have one left (family reunion in 2 weeks). Which is crazy.

I love being home, I love my farm in the summer. There are so many babies, and the grass is so lush and green, and the garden is our main source of food, and the smell..oh the smell is what I miss most when I am away. But, I miss the city, I miss my friends. (I know that two weeks into school I will not be thinking the same thing). I am not the same person I was when I was growing up in Redvers, and neither are the friends who grew up with me. This has made things awkward and sad, but it is time to grow up and move on (not completely, but somewhat). Part of me still wants to be 17 when we could cause shit and work at Myrnas and booze cruise in the Corolla. I should write a song about it. Kidding.

Annnnyywhosie. I am tired now. Tomorrow is my first day off since last Sunday, so I really just want to go for a bike ride and lay outside and read my book and go for a long drive by myself. Should be nice.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment